Depending on whether Car Sharing already exists in a city, region or country, it may be very difficult to ascertain the nature of the market, to provide a total market valuation, to identify market trends and to provide profiles of competitors.
Key actions which should be taken into account include the searching for areas that have a high combination of factors, such as:
- Higher population and jobs density.
- Limited access to a privately-owned motor car.
- Higher use of non-car modes to undertake regular journeys (e.g.to work, school or college, etc.)
- Households with a lower proportion of very young or elderly residents.
- Residents who are more likely to face on- and off-street parking difficulties.
- Higher than average income and social class.
- Higher employment rates.
- Higher affluence, lower deprivation scores.